Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Commemoration of the Faithful Departed

My friend's grandma died this weekend. I met Me-maw once. She was a really funny woman. As my friend wheeled Me-maw through the nursing home we passed by a mentally handicapped man and Me-maw yelled, "That man pretends to be stupid." As awful as it was for me to laugh, I did. Really hard. She also like to sing. I played some hymns on the piano and she and my friend sang along. That was some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

This past weekend I got a hold of a couple of old Lutheran hymnals. I'm planning on using most of them to craft with (I have an AMAZING plan, but once again I'll tell all after they're done.), but I've kind of been using one of them as a pseudo book of prayer. There are prayers in it for almost every occasion and I found one commemorating the faithful departed. As I read it I thought of Me-maw...

Merciful Father, whose dear Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, rose Victor over death and the grave, we remember with thanksgiving your faithful people who have trusted in Christ, whose tears are gone, and whose sorrows have turned to joy; and we humbly implore You to strengthen us in the confident hope of the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come; through our Lord Jesus Christ.





No comments:

Post a Comment