Tuesday, February 28, 2012

This post might make you mad...or worried about me.

This post is potentially blasphemous and it might upset you/make you angry...fair warning.

Lately I've been finding myself questioning current Christian Rhetoric. It all started when I watched this video:

Seriously though...if you spend even a minute amount of time around a female Christian you've probably heard at least one of those phrases. If you search my blog thoroughly enough I bet you could find a couple of them that I myself have said (or written, if you will)...I know that I've said some of those things in conversation before.

Why?

When I look back over my (super long expansive life of) nineteen years, I see a girl who spent a lot of time trying to fit in with her fellow believers. I read Josh Harris's books at the ripe age of fifteen and because of them chose to "kiss dating goodbye." I cried at all of the youth events and "re-dedicated my life" more times than I care to admit. I learned to play Casting Crowns by ear. I said and did all the right Christian stuff. I went along with all of the trends because I wanted to be cool.

Now that I'm all grown up I find myself facing Christian fads and trends that I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with...

I mean, I don't wear toms. I don't go to a cool church that has a coffee shop in it. I want to get a tattoo (but NOT of a verse or some Christian phrase or symbol). My bookshelves are covered with nineteenth century novels, volumes of poetry, guides to writing well, books about Greco-Roman mythology, and manuals about security and crime prevention. I haven't read Radical. Nor do I plan on reading it (not that it matters because I'll never have enough free time to read what I want ever again anyways!).

And then there's this. My blog. My baby. 183 posts ago I began putting itty bitty pieces of my heart on display for the general public. And somewhere between there and here I started laying it all out for you guys...to the point that I subject you to my thoughts that don't really fall in line with Christian norms. Somewhere along the way I evolved away from wanting to be the cool, coffee-drinking, hipster Christian I hoped you all thought I was.

But I'm not really sure who (or what!) I've evolved into.

I mean, GOD is still a huge factor in my life. I still love Him and worship Him. My life is still submitted to Him. So don't freak out and think I've gone and turned into some heathen or something.

I have more to say but this post is long enough so maybe I'll continue my thoughts some other time...

2 comments:

  1. I think you are on the right track... there's no need to follow the fads, just be the woman God created you to be. He wouldnt want you to imitate any others, but Him and to be you through Christ. (if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete