Sunday, March 18, 2012

Blessed are the rational, for they shall logic their way into Heaven.

My whole life I've held the understanding that my faith in GOD is a matter of logic. I went to Christian school where I was taught all of the arguments and reasons why Christians are right and everyone else is wrong. In my lifetime I've spent approximately 4,000 hours in Churches, Chapels, Youth Camps, and Bible Studies and I would daresay that at least 1,000 of those were dedicated to teaching me how to logically defend my faith in GOD.

No one ever taught me how to defend my faith from myself. No one ever really prepared me for the day when the hard questions were coming out of my mouth. I had all the right answers for every person and every situation. Except for myself.

I live in a very logic-centered culture. I live in a world where things are rational, defined, and certain. Or at least that's what they're supposed to be. And when things pass beyond the bounds of reason they're usually written off.

But today in Church I realized something: I can't logic my way into Heaven. And for that matter, I can't logic my way into GOD's heart. Because for now not every single doubt is going to be reassured; not every single question is going to be answered.

Which is probably why there are so many verses in the Bible about faithfulness. I've always loved those verses because I felt like they were a nice reassurance of GOD's faithfulness towards me. But a quick re-read during the car ride home showed me that I was missing part of the equation. Yes, the LORD is faithful to me. BUT He also wants me to be faithful to Him. In 1 Corinthians, Paul talks a lot about faith and how it's important to have faith in the power of GOD and not in the wisdom of men...which means that GOD wants me to have faith in Him...in spite of how illogical it may seem to be.

1 comment:

  1. Right on! God made us to be logical, rational beings, but He is so much more than that. There are so many times that I use logic almost as an escape from dealing with truth, instead of embracing God's truth no matter how much I don't understand.

    -Chris Marsh

    ReplyDelete