Sunday, November 14, 2010

Plummeting from Pedestals

Lately, I’ve been under a spell of disillusionment. I’ve been seeing all the ways that I put certain people on pedestals. The ironic thing is that every person I put on a pedestal falls off of it. I guess that is more GOD than irony.
I don’t know why I always try to convince myself that people who I love, or who have qualities I admire, are perfect. Maybe it’s because of my own innate desire for perfection. My logic is that if perfection is attainable for them, then I should be able to have it too.
And then my idols fall. This is always a heartbreaking process. I hate seeing anyone fail, (it’s actually one of the things that I dislike the most) but seeing someone who I’ve decided is very close to perfection come crashing down slashes at my heart. It’s always a striking realization of my own humanity.
The crux of the matter is that we are all selfish. We are all fallen. We all need grace. None of us belongs on a pedestal.

No comments:

Post a Comment