Thursday, December 22, 2011

Unfinished Conversations

Now that the semester is over I find myself with the time to work on my three hundred and ten book reading list...I've only read twenty nine of them. I'm kind of in love with books...it's a dangerous relationship (also slightly nerdy...).

I hate it when I'm reading and something pulls me away from my book. It feels like I'm tearing myself away from someone in the middle of a conversation. I always finish whatever it is I have to do as quickly as  possible so that I can get back to my dear friend (and by friend I mean whatever novel/serial killer book/memoir that I'm reading).

The funny thing is though, I do the opposite in life. Albeit with people, not books. It's easy for me to cast aside a person rather than finish a conversation I'm supposed to have with them.

Because sometimes there are things that need to be said that I don't want to say (or hear, as the case may be).

The truth isn't an easy thing to handle. It's hard to find the balance between not giving someone enough truth and pushing far too much truth onto someone. One extreme puts me in the position of being an ingenuine liar and the other turns me into an obnoxious inconsiderate tattle-tale/nag.

That's the thing with balance though...a person can only be in balance for that split second when all of the cards are right, when all of the chances fall perfectly in line. And then he or she falls back toward an extreme.

But that's what makes grace so beautiful. Grace comes and sits at the other end of the proverbial teeter-totter and helps us to find balance again. Grace gives us the strength to speak the truth (rather than hide it), while also giving us the wisdom to know how to share the truth lovingly (rather than bluntly or arrogantly).

No comments:

Post a Comment