Sunday, May 6, 2012

#that moment when you realize you're a hipster

So guys...I think I might be a hipster. But only in the most minimalistic sense of the word! But the other day a friend pointed out that I have hipster-ish qualities so now I've been obsessively thinking about it and trying to decide if I really am one or not. So I made two lists. One has the reasons for why I might be a hipster and the other is reasons why I definitely am not one.

(Reasons I Might Be a Hipster)

1. I have said the words, "I am not a hipster." on numerous occasions. Classic hipster move.

2. I wore this sweater with shorts earlier this week. It wasn't cold. I just wanted to wear the sweater.

3. One of my favorite phrases: "That's ironic."

4. These are the books that I read for fun. I feel like the fact that I have read Atlas Shrugged twice permanently places me in the hipster category...

5. I have a blog. And I regularly post on it. (Obviously)

6. I write poetry when I'm bored in class.

7. I watch a lot of documentaries.

8. I'm really good at being pretentious and pretending like I know what I'm talking about when secretly I have no clue what the heck is going on.

9. Sometimes I try to play the guitar.

(Reasons Why I Am NOT a Hipster)

1. I don't frequent snotty coffee houses...instead I just brew it myself. Or go to Starbucks. A hipster would never set foot in Starbucks, right?

2. One of my minors is in Criminal Justice. That's super un-hipsterish, right? I mean, what kind of hipster has time to think about laws?  

3. There are no indie/alternative films in my movie collection. Just don't look at my iTunes account...

4. I don't carry a messenger bag.

5. I don't wear hipster-looking glasses. I wear librarian-looking glasses.  Although the bangs might make this a moot point. Granted, I grew out my bangs so...

6. I don't own a pair of Toms.

7.  When I'm upset I dance around and sing to Britney Spears and N'Sync music.

8. I don't own a bike.

9. I...don't have a lumberjack-like beard?

So I guess it's a toss-up...

1 comment:

  1. Haha love this. But I think I just discovered my inner-hipster. I had 8 out of the first 9 and 6 of the bottom 9. Plus I minored in Classical Studies...
    I'll be watching a documentary if you need me.

    ReplyDelete