Friday, October 21, 2011

Some Random Fall Stuff

So I know I've been a little out of touch lately, and for that I'd like to apologize my dear, lovely readers. However, it was completely unavoidable! Things have just been crazy and busy, and thus, I've taken to neglecting you.

Fall is here! I know I've already posted about that, but I can't help but being super excited about it still! I love fall! I love holidays! I love all of the stuff that comes along with this time of year! I love the scarves and the coats and the extra coffee that I can justify drinking because it's cold and I love the excuse to just stay indoors and read a book or make food or craft projects! Right now I'm just sitting in bed listening to Michael Buble/Sara Bareilles/The Chronicles of Narnia soundtrack while writing out this post and drinking a gallon of coffee...sigh...

Last night I made the most amazing cake! I like to call it Peanut-Butter-Chocolate-Deliciousness...sigh...that was such a good cake...

Anyways, this was my second attempt at this cake, and I think I have finally perfected the recipe!

Here's the recipe: (Warning: not for the faint of heart! Only attempt if you have much time and patience!)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325F.
Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan with parchment. Set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Mix together brown sugar, peanut butter and butter for two minutes. Add eggs and mix for another 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and mix for another minute.
Add half of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated about 20 seconds. Then add the sour cream, mixing again for 20 seconds. Gradually add the remaining flour mixture. Add the hot water in a slow, steady stream and mix on low to combine, about 30 seconds. Add the vanilla and mix for another 10 seconds. Add the chocolate chips and use a rubber spatula to finish mixing the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
Spread the cake batter in the pan. Bake for about 22 minutes.

Chocolate Peanut Icing
1/2 bag of chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup granulated sugar
2 TBSP peanut butter
1 TBSP unsalted butter
Place the chocolate in a bowl and set aside. Heat the cream, butter, peanut butter and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, stir in the sugar. Bring to a boil. Pour the creme mixture over the chocolate. Wait 5 minutes and stir the mixture until smooth. Place in fridge for about 5-10 minutes and place into a pipe bag.
Assemble:
Cut cake in half. Pipe half of the icing on top of one half and spread it around, then place the other half on top of that. Pipe the rest of the icing in a pretty design on the top! Serve! Enjoy!

(Sorry I didn't get any pictures! We ate it as soon as it was done!)

This is where I borrowed the recipe from. I tweaked it a bit though.

Other things I have been doing lately in celebration of this lovely time of year:


Enjoying my daily cup (or pot...) of coffee. Yes, I am a full-fledged addict again. Aren't my nails super cute?!? My friend did them all Fall-y for me!


In celebration of the Fall, I have begun the task of reading all seven of the Harry Potter books. Again.
And of course, I have to maintain my girlish side with some Jane Austen and Emily Dickinson. Random fact: the movie Leap Year has become my new go-to chick flick. I'm not a huge chick flick chick, but this movie has kind of done me in.

I've definitely had more than my fair share of sparkling grape juice lately...next to coffee, that's the best stuff in the world. Anyways, I've been collecting glass bottles and jars to decorate for Christmas with! I have a super amazing idea, but I'm not going to share it with you until I'm finished with it! For now, there's just a bunch of glass stuff sitting around my room.


No comments:

Post a Comment