Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Children's Literature

I love children’s books. I don’t know why, but when something is bothering me or I can’t seem to chill out, nothing helps like a good children’s book and a cup of coffee. Right now, I’m on Christmas break, so all the time that I would ordinarily devote to studying has gone to reading...which is a lot of time. From Shakespeare to Helter Skelter, from political commentary to a book called The Book of Great Books (which is really interesting, by the way), from novels about silly girls obsessed with chocolate and coffee to Catch-22 (which was a complete waste of my time), I realized that as much as I love to read, nothing makes me happier than a good children’s book.
Granted, there are plenty of horrible children’s books out there. It seems like publishers are just waiting to pounce on any idea that seems like it might hold a five-year-old’s attention, which does not always make a good book. However, spending several hours in the children’s section of the library yields promising results. My favorites are The Tale of Despereaux, Oh The Places You’ll Go, and the one I read this morning, Shakespeare’s Secret. I also really like the first two Harry Potter books (I didn’t think the rest were as much fun), The Mysterious Benedict Society books, and the Artemis Fowl books...although I don’t know if those really count entirely as children’s lit.

No comments:

Post a Comment