Saturday, January 29, 2011

Someone once told me that the irony gods always bite you in the butt...is that blasphemous?

Well...here I am, a week into the semester. It’s one in the morning and I can’t sleep, so I’m eating cheddar whales and I’ve had to resort to Sunny D because I polished off the chocolate milk approximately twelve hours ago. Not that I’m complaining, I really like Sunny D too.
But all that is just background information. This week I learned something new: life doesn’t turn out the way you expect it to. I should have already realized that based on the number of times I’ve watched While You Were Sleeping, because not only is that the point of that movie, they even come right out and say it. However, I guess I’d always been too distracted by Bill Pullman’s perfect hair and ridiculously charming smile to get anything of value out of that I movie.
I’ve spent the majority of my life telling people all of the things that I would not do with my life. “I will not ever ever be a teacher...I will not ever be good at math...I will not screw up my life like that person did...I like music, but I will not ever get the chance to do anything worthwhile with it...” (The list goes on...). My reasoning behind this was that because I didn’t know for sure what I wanted to do with my life, if I figured out what I did not want to do, then by process of elimination I would get some sort of idea what I did want to do. Not that there’s anything wrong with knowing what you like and dislike, but I’m discovering that when I come right out and say that I will not ever do a specific thing, I usually end up doing exactly what I said I wasn’t going to. (Except for the math one...somehow I haven’t been able to jinx myself into being good at math.)

No comments:

Post a Comment