Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Post That Ends On a Down Note

So lately I’ve been thinking about love. Partially because Valentine’s Day is four days away, and mostly because loving others isn’t exactly my strongpoint...okay so that might be an understatement.
The problem is, even though love is mentioned hundreds of time in the Bible, and even though I can pull out my Greek/Hebrew dictionary and quote away all of the different words used to define or describe love, I still don’t really know or understand what it is. Being an English major, it’s so easy for me to see words on a page and just see words. Words. Words. Words. I’m really good at analyzing content and evaluating the literary value and appreciating the author’s prose and all that jazz...but when it comes down to application...where it really counts...I’m not so good at that.
Which brings me to 1 Corinthians 13...the love chapter...I bet you had no clue I was going there. (PS I don’t know why I’m using so many ellipses tonight, I’m just in a trailing off with my thoughts sort of mood I guess...) Honestly, I’ve always seen this chapter as being a drag. Maybe it’s because it’s referenced so much. So anyways, I was rethinking the love chapter tonight, and I realized, “It’s not a drag!” Great realization huh?
I had always glossed over this chapter and seen it as one of those fluffy little chapters in the Bible that are meant to make us feel good about ourselves (I’ve been realizing lately though that there isn’t really even one of those chapters.). But this chapter is not fluffy or nice or even about feeling good. It’s about the worthlessness of our lives without love. And not the kind of love that is about nice feelings and being happy. Our lives are worthless without the kind of love that is about being patient and kind to everyone, the kind of love that is about being content and humble, the kind of love that doesn’t resent or get irritated with others, the kind of love that seeks truth above all else, the kind of love that trusts and hopes and endures. I don’t have that...with anyone. Well I mean...I get to receive it from GOD...but I don’t really give it to anyone.
Usually I try not to end my posts on a down note...but tonight...sorry...

No comments:

Post a Comment