Monday, September 19, 2011

If I ever have a daughter...

If I ever have a daughter I will name her Emily Catherine. She will be the Patron Saint of Introverts because her namesakes will be two of the most quiet, reclusive women in literary history: Emily Dickinson and Emily Bronte. Most likely she'll have quite a personality though...she would have to considering her middle name derives from one of Bronte's characters in Wuthering Heights who has quite the temper and attitude.

If I ever have a daughter I will read to her every night, starting with Dr. Seuss's Oh the Places You'll Go. I will show her the wonders of words, from Nancy Drew to Robert Frost, from Kate DiCamillo to Jane Austen, from Winnie the Pooh to Ayn Rand. I will read her things that make her laugh until it hurts her sides, and I will read her things that will make her so sad that we will just sit and cry with each other until we run out of tears.

If I ever have a daughter I will teach her the lost arts of cooking and cleaning. I will teach her to appreciate the value of doing things that require time and effort, rather than relying on quick and easy solutions. I will show her how to wait and work for the things that she wants.

If I ever have a daughter I will teach her to climb trees and jump on beds, to sing loudly regardless of who's listening and to smile when it's raining. I will show her that it's okay not to worry about what people think.

If I ever have a daughter I will teach her about Jesus. I will pray with (and for) her. I will listen to her own sweet prayers and they will seem to hold much more power than my own. She will learn about grace from watching my life. She will see me fall and struggle, and then she will see the LORD forgive me and pour His grace out on me.

If I ever have a daughter I will love her.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that is the wish we all have for our future children. I do believe if more people would wish that and live that out... there would be fewer broken and insecure women out there and there would be a lot more joy. Oh and also she will be super intelligent because it sounds like she will be interested in reading and writing English like her mother.

    ReplyDelete